Algorithm of Protein Sequence Determination by Combination of the Edman Degradation Method and Shotgun Mass Spectrometry
An algorithm combining advantages of the Edman degradation method and de novo mass-spectrometric sequencing was developed. The protein from the “Diaskintest” diagnostic test was used for analysis. The protein was digested with trypsin and 5 steps of Edman degradation were carried out sequentially for the mixture of peptides. At each stage, the resulting mixture was analyzed by shotgun mass spectrometry analysis. The results of mass-spectrometry were analyzed both by the well-known de novo sequencing programs Novor and PepNovo+, and by own program that clustered individual spectra with a C-terminal signature formed by Y-ions. This approach allows us to determine confidently the amino acid sequence of the N-terminal part of the peptides obtained after the protein hydrolysis by trypsin.
- Edman, P. (1950). Method for determination of the amino acid sequence in peptides. Acta chem. scand, 4(7), 283-293. DOI
- Vyatkina, K. V. (2018). De novo Sequencing of Proteins and Peptides: Algorithms, Applications, Perspectives. Biomedical Chemistry: Research and Methods, 1(1), e00005. DOI
- Kiselev, V. I., Baranovskiĭ, P. M., Rudykh, I. V., Shuster, A. M., Mart'ianov, V. A., Mednikov, B. L., ... & Slogotskaia, L. V. (2009). Clinical trials of the new skin test Diaskintest for the diagnosis of tuberculosis. Problemy tuberkuleza i boleznei legkikh, (2), 11-16.
- Mikurova A.V., Novikova S.E., Skvortsov V.S., Alekseychuk N.N., Rybina A.V., Miroshnichenko Yu.V. (2017) The sequence coverage in different methods of mass spectrometry data analysis obtained on model proteins, Biomeditsinskaya khimiya, 63(5), 397-404. DOI
- Ma, B. (2015). Novor: real-time peptide de novo sequencing software. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 26(11), 1885-1894. DOI
- Frank, A., & Pevzner, P. (2005). PepNovo: de novo peptide sequencing via probabilistic network modeling. Analytical chemistry, 77(4), 964-973. DOI
- Skvortsov, V. S., Alekseychuk, N. N., Miroshnichenko, Y. V., & Rybina, A. V. (2018). pIPredict Version 2: New Features and PTM Analysis. Biomedical Chemistry: Research and Methods, 1(2), e00009. DOI
- Keil, B. (2012). Specificity of proteolysis. Springer Science & Business Media.