The Use of IR Fourier Spectroscopy of Saliva for Rapid Assessment of the Level of Lipid Peroxidation Products
Keywords:saliva; IR spectroscopy; lipid peroxidation
Infrared spectroscopy of saliva is an express and non-invasive method of analysis, applicable for diagnostics of various diseases and for studying metabolic processes and adaptive changes in the body. The goal of this study was to determine possibility of analyzing the products of lipid peroxidation (LPO) by using IR spectroscopy of saliva on the example of oncological diseases. The study involved 203 patients with lung cancer (n = 40), breast cancer (n = 50) and the control group (n = 113). Saliva samples were collected in the morning after overnight fast. The content of LPO products (conjugated dienes, and trienes, Schiff bases, malonic dialdehyde MDA) was determined in all samples and the IR absorption spectra were recorded in the range of 500–4000 cm–1. In the IR spectra, an increase in the intensity of the absorption bands of lipids was observed; it corresponded to an increase in the total lipid content and correlated with the content of MDA, and a decrease in the intensity of vibrations of oxygen-containing groups, which corresponded to a negative correlation with secondary LPO products. Apparently, on the IR spectra, we simultaneously register both primary, intermediate, and final LPO products. Statistically significant regression equations were obtained, allowing to estimate the content of intermediate LPO products - conjugated triene, and Schiff bases. The proposed method allows to monitor LPO processes, as well as to characterize the direction of the equilibrium shift in these processes.
- Bartsch, H., Nair, U.J. (2014) Lipid peroxidation–derived DNA adducts and the role in inflammation-related carcinogenesis. Cancer and Inflammation Mechanisms: Chemical, Biological, and Clinical Aspects. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 61-73.
- Omel'chuk, N.N., Tatarintseva, R.YA., Stasitite-Bunyavichene, D.S., Zlatinskaya, G.R., Ukhov, A.A. (2014) Correction of processes of lipid peroxidation and antioxidant systems with the help of natural biomodulator perga in workers in heavy industry. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 10, 39-43.
- Gorozhanskaya, E.G., Sviridova, S.P., Baykova, V.N., Zubrikhina, G.N., Dobrovol'skaya, M.M., Sytov, A.V. (2015) Oxidative stress in platelets in oncopathology. Biomeditsinskaya khimiya, 61(4), 519-525.
- Barrera, G. (2012) Oxidative Stress and Lipid Peroxidation Products in Cancer Progression and Therapy. ISRN Oncology, Article ID 137289, 21 pages. DOI
- Volchegorskiy, I.A., Nalimov, A.G., Yarovinskiy, B.G. (1989) Comparison of different approaches to the determination of products in heptane-isopropanol blood extracts. Voprosy meditsinskoy khimii, 1, 127-131.
- Gavrilov, V.B., Bidula, M.M., Furmanchuk, D.A., Konev, S.V., Aleynikova, O.V. (1999) Evaluation of intoxication of the body by the imbalance between the accumulation and binding of toxins in plasma. Klinicheskaya laboratornaya diagnostika, 2, 13–17.
- Nekrasov, E.V. (2012) Methods of analysis of lipid peroxidation products in biomedical research. Byulleten' fiziologii i patologii dykhaniya, 46, 98-108.
- Dzhatdoyeva, A.A., Polimova, A.M., Proskurina, Ye.V., Proskurin, M.A., Vladimirov, Yu.A. (2016) Determination of lipids and their oxidation products by IR spectroscopy. Zhurnal analiticheskoy khimii, 76(6), 570-576.
- Bel'skaya, L.V., Sarf, Ye.A., Gundyrev, I.A. (2018) Study of IR spectra of saliva of patients with oncologic diseases. Journal of Applied Spectroscopy, 85(6), 952-961.
- Shipper, R.G., Silletti, E., Vingerhoeds, M.H. (2007) Saliva as research material: Biochemical, physicochemical and practical aspects. Archives of Oral Biology, 52, 1114−1135. DOI
- Tóthová, L., Kamodyová, N., Červenka, T., Celec, P. (2015) Salivary markers of oxidative stress in oral diseases. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, 5. DOI
- Manzhurov, I.L., Lezhnin, V.L. (2015) Multifactorial assessment of the influence of the environment on the development of cancer. Ekologiya cheloveka, 1, 3-9.
- Zlokachestvennyye novoobrazovaniya v Rossii v 2016 godu (zabolevayemost' i smertnost'). Pod red. A.D. Kaprina, V.V. Starinskogo, G.V. Petrovoy. M.: MNIOI im. P.A. Gertsena, 2018. 250 s.
- Movasaghi, Z., Rehman, S., Rehman, I. (2008) Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy of Biological Tissues. Applied Spectroscopy Reviews, 43(2), 134-179. DOI
- Olsztyńska-Janus, S., Pietruszka, A., Kiełbowicz, Z., Czarnecki, M.A. (2017) ATR-IR study of skin components: Lipids, proteins and water. Part I: Temperature effect. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 188, 37–49. DOI:10.1016/j.saa.2017.07.001
- Bel'skaya, L.V., Sarf, E.A., Gundyrev, I.A. (2019) Study of the IR spectra of the saliva of cancer patients. J Appl Spectrosc., 85(6),1076-1084. DOI
- Krasnov, V.V., Gordetsov, A.S. (2009) Infrared spectral analysis of blood serum as a reflection of the level of violation of metabolic processes in infectious diseases in children. Sovremennyye tekhnologii v meditsine, 1, 39-43.
- Anastassopoulou, J., Kyriakidou, M., Kyriazis, S., Mavrogenis, A.F., Mamareli, V., Mamarelis, I., Petra, M., Malesiou, E., Kotoulas, C., Kolovou, P., Koutoulakis, E., Markouizou, A., Theophanides, T. (2018) Oxidative stress in ageing and disease development studied by FT-IR spectroscopy. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, 172, 107-114. DOI
- Oleszko, A., Olsztyńska-Janus, S., Walski, T., Grzeszczuk-Kuć, K., Bujok, J., GaBecka, K., Czerski, A., Witkiewicz, W., Komorowska, M. (2015) Application of FTIR-ATR Spectroscopy to Determine the Extent of Lipid Peroxidation in Plasma during Haemodialysis. BioMed Research International. Article ID 245607, 8 pages. DOI
- Dreissig, I., Machill, S., Salzer, R., Krafft, C. (2009) Quantification of brain lipids by FTIR spectroscopy and partial least squares regression. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 71(5), 2069–2075. DOI
- Bel’skaya, L.V., Kosenok, V.K., Massard, G. (2016) Endogenous Intoxication and Saliva Lipid Peroxidation in Patients with Lung Cancer. Diagnostics, 6(4), 39. DOI